Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Princess

Life has gotten so busy and I worry about the future more.  What will real college be like?  Will I be able to be surrounded by so many people?  Or will I drop out again and run to salvation with the rejected?

Too much time spent worrying over things that by the time I'm riled up, someone else comes home or it's time to go to work.  We struggle with sneaking time in together.  Being intimate, I knew already, is difficult.  Especially in a house with such thin walls and open doors.  Where are the locks?  Hidden to keep things out.

I guy I almost dated used to call me a princess.  This is probably the only reason we never dated.  I hate the word and what it connotes.  Things are not simply handed to me.  There is no one to tie my corset up or to give me my schedule each morning.  I am a hardworking individual who deserves to be spoil, and spoil others in return.  I still struggle with how people perceive me.
Yes, my family lives in a rich neighborhood.  Yes, we go to the best doctors.  Yes, we code switch so gracefully no one notices.  Yes, we are brown leaders in our community.  No, we are not better than you.  We also work factory jobs, under the table work on weekends.  Paying the electricity bill hurts my pocket as much as it does yours.  If not more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment