Saturday, March 23, 2013

Snorkel

I got accepted to my first choice school: St. John's University.  Queens Campus.  It's going to be exciting the next couple of weeks as I wait to hear about my financial packages and scholarships.  I think I'm really going to do it.  I think I'm ready for my grand adventure.
The last three years since graduating high school has been amazing.  I've learned so much and have grown in so many directions.  I feel less like a tree and more like ivy.  I can feel all parts of me taking up giant walls and engulfing as much of everything as I can.  New York seems like it's too much for me-- too big of a city, too many people, too little familiar things, etc.  It also seems like the perfect fit.  It's close enough to home that I can be back with just one 2-hour bus ride.  It's close enough that I can still teach dance, and volunteer.  I can visit the people I'll miss with the freedom to come and go as I please.
I think what I'm looking for most is space to grow.  Staying with my parents until getting my undergrad had been the plan, but ever since I got that acceptance call from St. John's I feel like the sky's the limit.  If I can get into St. John's, I can do anything.  I can stand in crowded New York trains, over come my social anxieties.  I can go to school, move out, and grow up now.
I can do all of this now.
Right now.
I don't think I'm ready.
It's like diving into a pool knowing I can't swim.
Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment